The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is the second largest inter-governmental organization with a membership of 57 states spread over four continents. The OIC organizes the Islamic Summit, which is the largest meeting, attended by the Rulers and the Heads of State and Government of its member states. The Islamic Summit takes policy decisions and provides guidance on all issues pertaining to the realization of its objectives as provided for by the OIC Charter and consider other issues of concern to the Member States and the Ummah. This meeting is held once every three (3) years.
The 15th Heads of State and Government Summit will be held in The Gambia in 2024. The Government of The Gambia set up The Gambia OIC Secretariat to lead government’s efforts to host the summit. Five priority projects have been identified by the Secretariat; they are The Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara International Conference Centre which was inaugurated in January 2020 by the President H.E Adama Barrow, road infrastructure, VVIP airport and terminal renovation, 5-Star Hotel, VIP cars and delegate transportation. Other projects include security, health, water and electricity.
- 20 new roads across 50km in the Greater Banjul Area;
- Bertil Harding Highway will be expanded to a dual carriage of six lanes, three on each side from the airport junction to Sting Corner;
- Construction of VVIP Presidential lounge at the Banjul International Airport;
- The construction of a 5 star hotel, Radisson Blu Banjul;
- Provision of first class mobility;
- A new water system will be constructed including new boreholes, new water treatment plants, and new transmission and water distribution networks;
- The current capacity of NAWEC transformers and modernize overhead electric cables will be increased by twofold;
- The capacity of the security will be improved with modern apparatus and technical training.