THE OIC GAMBIA SECRETARIAT
The Gambia OIC Secretariat was established in May 2018 to lead the government of The Gambia’s efforts to host the 14th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in The Gambia in May 2019. However, due to time constraints, the 2019 Gambia summit was postponed to 2022 to give the country more time to prepare to receive the 57 leaders of the Islamic Ummah.
The Secretariat is a charitable organization under the purview of the Office of the President.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is the world’s second-largest intergovernmental organization after the United Nations. It was founded in 1969 and consists of 57 member states, with a collective population of 1.8 billion.
The Islamic Summit, which is the largest meeting of the organization, is attended by the Rulers and Heads of State and Government of its member states. The Islamic Summit takes policy decisions and guides on all issues on the realization of its objectives as provided for by the OIC Charter as well as consider other issues of concern to the Member States and the Ummah. This meeting is held once every three (3) years.
The Secretariat is headed by a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and assisted by a Deputy Chief Executive Officer (DCEO). The Management comprises the following heads of Department;
- Administration and Human Resourse;
- Brand and Communication.
The CEO also serves as the bridge between the Executive Committee (Board) and the Implementing Committees.
- The National Roads Authority (NRA)
- Ministry of Transport, Works, and Infrastructure
- National Water and Electricity Company (NAWEC)
- The Gambia Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA)
- The Gambia Telecommunications Company (Gamtel)
These are executing agencies that implement the various development and infrastructural projects of the Secertariat.The Secretariat in collaboration with key stakeholders has established the Project Management Office (PMO), Project Coordination Office (PCO), and Project Implementation Unit (PIU) for quick delivery, smooth coordination and collaboration among the various units.
To provide the necessary resources for The Gambia to deliver a successful and memorable OIC through;
- Constituting a Supervisory Board for strategic direction and approvals (Governance);
- Mobilizing adequate financial resources to fund the programs designed for the OIC Summit;
- Improving accessibility with new strategic and renovated roads across the country;
- Providing first-class accommodation facilities;
- Selling The Gambia as a “go-to” destination for hosting international conferences;
- Providing opportunities for job creation especially for the youth and women; and
- Partnering with the private sector.